Alongside his books, Scott has been a regular contributor or articles for various journals and magazines, including Modern English Teacher and English Teaching Professional.
Scott was born in 1950 in New Zealand. He has over 30 years’ experience in ELT which includes both teaching and teacher training.
While Scott has taught in Egypt, the UK, and New Zealand, he currently lives in Spain.
Education and Qualifications
Thornbuy has an MATEFL, which he gained from the University of Reading, UK.
English Language Teaching & Teacher Training
Scott’s experience spans teaching, teacher training, and examining (CELTA and UCLES). He’s a key figure in the development of the Dogme language teaching methodology and movement – which is said to originate in his article ‘A Dogma for EFL’ written in 2000.
- Teacher Trainer – International House, Barcelona
- Associate – International Teacher Development Institute
- Associate Professor of English Language Studies – The New School, New York
Writing & Teaching Methodology Books
Thornbury has been the Series Editor of Cambridge Handbooks for Language Teachers at Cambridge University Press since 2005.
His published works are numerous and include
- The CELTA Course, Scott Thornbury & Peter Watkins, Cambridge English
- Scott Thornbury’s 30 Language Teaching Methods, Cambridge Handbooks for Language Teachers
- How to Teach Writing. Pearson Education Ltd. 200